A Charlotte Mason homeschool......


A Charlotte Mason homeschool
with a sprinkling of Waldorf, a dash of Classical, and a healthy dose of rabbit trails.....

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sometimes less really is more

A Little House Education....

I have been reading the Little House series with K. We worked through all the Laura years (Little House on the Prairie, etc. for those of you who don't know what I am talking about). Now we are into the Rose series. K just loves these, as do I . I never read these as a child myself, so it is fresh to me as well.

One day while reading In the Land of the Big Red Apple, Rose was getting ready to go to school. Her mother gave her a McGuffey's Eclectic reader. Somewhere, I don't know where or when, I picked up a copy of this book. The revised edition was printed in 1879. K got very excited and ran around looking for our copy. I finally located it in a drawer and handed it to him. He now uses this book often to work on learning to read.

The other day he said to me, can I do school like they did in Little House? Hmmm....."You mean reading McGuffey's?" "Yes and whatever else they did."
Okay..... small chalkboard= slate
piece of chalk= slate pencil
McGuffey's=McGuffey's
small tin pail= dinner pail

K worked on "sums" on his slate. He actually learned quite a bit that day--happily. He learned to add and subtract double digit, triple digit and even quadruple digit numbers. He learned borrowing and carrying before bed.

I think he is creating his own education.....A Little House Education. And it is a beautiful thing.










2 comments:

  1. My dd did the same thing! She wanted a Little House Education. I love those McGuffey Readers. I've got my father's set from 1919!

    It is a beautiful thing!

    (I love your description of your homeschooling style.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have his set from 1919? That's really special.

    As to the description of my style, at various times I have embraced each of those. Now, I keep a little of each, like a snowball collecting bits and pieces as it rolls along.

    ReplyDelete